Happy New Year! Take a few moments to reflect on the questions posed below. You have the opportunity to change your life and the impact you have on others.
"Being persistent means that when things get in the way, as they will, you will find a way of overcoming them. If people knock you down, as they will, you are able to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and return to your path. It also means that when doubts creep into your mind, as they will, you are able to listen to their message without being distracted from your purpose.
- "Avoid sweeping statements. Words such as 'always' and 'never' only make people angry, and defensive.
- Focus on major responsibilities and performance standards.
- Ask recipients to identify causes of performance problems.
- Provide feedback frequently.
- Discuss behaviors or results, not the person.
- Specify what needs to be done.
- Use both positive and negative feedback.
- Coach rather than judge.
- Fit feedback to the individual (p. 126)."
- Clarity is Essential
- Competence is Critical
- Identify Your Constraints
- Unlock Your Creativity
- Concentrate Single-Mindedly
- Have the Courage of Your Convictions
- Develop Your Character
- Plan Every Detail in Advance
- Organize Your Work Before You Begin
- Staff Properly at Every Level
- Delegate Effectively
- Inspect What You Expect
- Keep the Boss Informed
- Focus on High Productivity
- Maintaining and raising quality
- Developing and improving systems
- Coaching employee performance
- Communicating across the organization
- Collaborating across the organization
- Resolving conflicts
- Building employee motivation
- Leading with emotional intelligence
- Building teams and team performance
- Managing change
- Managing your time and priorities
- Working with ethics and integrity (p. 6)
One evening, an old Cherokee told his grandson about a conflict that goes on inside people. He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves within is all. One is evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, worry, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego. The other one is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, wisdom, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth compassion and faith.”