The Five Practices and Ten Commitments of Exemplary Leadership
Model the Way
- Clarify values by finding your vice and affirming shared values.
- Set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
Inspire a Shared Vision
- Envision the future by imagining exciting and enabling possibilities.
- Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
Challenge the Process
- Search for opportunities by seizing the initiative and looking outward for innovation.
- Experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from experience.
Enable Others to Act
- Foster collaboration by building trust and facilitating relationships.
- Strengthen others by increasing self-determination and developing competence.
Encourage the Heart
- Recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
Celebrate the values and victories by creating a spirit of community. (p. 29)
How do you demonstrate the five practices of exemplary leadership?
What is one of the ten leadership commitments that you will practice this week?
From: Kouzes, J. and Posner, B. (2012) The leadership challenge: how to make extraordinary things happen in organizations. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ.