Helpful Hints for giving Feedback
By:Beth Flynn, Monday, August 22nd, 2016
- "Avoid sweeping statements. Words such as 'always' and 'never' only make people angry, and defensive.
- Focus on major responsibilities and performance standards.
- Ask recipients to identify causes of performance problems.
- Provide feedback frequently.
- Discuss behaviors or results, not the person.
- Specify what needs to be done.
- Use both positive and negative feedback.
- Coach rather than judge.
- Fit feedback to the individual (p. 126)."
What other hints for giving feedback do you have?
From: London, M. (2014). The power of feedback. New York: Routledge Publishers