Guidelines for Employee Recognition
- Personalize recognition. Individuals, not groups, do work.
- Make recognition motivating, not embarrassing, for star performers. Make those recognized part of an elite group - don't focus on the solo star.
- Keep recognition a surprise, not routine. When employees become conditioned to expect rewards, they feel disappointed when they aren't acknowledged.
- Make it clear why the person deserves recognition. Praise the specific performance, skill, judgment, expertise, or accomplishment.
- Share stories with your group to help them understand the impact of their work on both internal and external customers. Show them that their work makes a difference!
- Make the recognition personal and heartfelt.
- Vary the reward (p. 116-117)."
What do you do to recognize your employees?
From: Booher, D. (2017). Communicate like a leader: connecting strategically to coach, inspire, and get things done. Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.