Qualities and Behaviors That Make Someone a Great Mentor
From: Studer,Q. (2020). The busy leader's handbook: how to lead people and places that thrive. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley and Sons.
- "Great mentors have done it and/or are doing it.
- Great mentors are willing to share their knowledge, expertise, and skills.
- They just don't give answers. Instead, they help the mentee arrive at the answers.
- They focus on character at least as much as skill.
- Great mentors aren't afraid to get personal. They know there is no sharp divide between work life and personal life.
- Great mentors walk the walk.
- They are honest about their shortcomings.
- Great mentors know they are not finished products.
- Great mentors care.
- They are positive by nature.
- They help the mentee hold up the mirror.
- Great mentors teach from experience.
- They demand accountability.
- They also help the mentee find other mentors.
- Great mentors tell the hard truths (but they do it with caring) (p.269-272)."