Techniques for Higher Introvert Engagement
- "Before group discussions, give people 2-3 minutes to jot down their thoughts
- In online meetings, encourage responses in the chat box
- Break the team into pairs or small groups to discuss issues and report back to the larger group. This can be done both live and online
- Build in moments of silence for introverts to reflect
- Put a question out to the group, and allow each person 2 minutes to give an opinion on the topic
- Ask introverts to take a role as scribe or timekeeper to help increase their visibility
- On conference calls and online meetings, ask for input from east to west or ask in alphabetical order of names
- To tackle specific issues, incorporate small task forces that meet outside the large group and then report back
- Take unscheduled breaks when energy is low (p. 131)."
What are some additional ideas you can add to increasing engagement with Introverts?
From: Kahnweiler, J. B. (2018). The introverted leader: building on your quiet strength. 2nd edition. Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.