Eight Leadership Lessons Learned from Parenting
"Parents are constantly talking about and strategizing about their kids. Business leaders do the same about their staff. Parenting and team leadership are two of the toughest things you will ever try, and for many of the same reasons.
- Rules without a (proper) relationship leads to rebellion
- There is a difference between power and authority
- Have a few standards, and stick to them
- Be consistent
- Ultra-strict and ultra-lenient parents don't produce the best results
- Praise in writing; rebuke verbally
- Start with people where they are, not where you want them to be
- Set the right tone, and everything will take care of itself (p. 233-234)."
From: Throness, T. (2017). The power of people skills: how to eliminate 90% of your hr problems and dramatically increase team and company morale and performance. Wayne, NJ: Career Press.